Chongwe Member of Parliament, Japhen Mwakalombe
JOHN KOMBE writes
THERE was a sombre atmosphere in Chongwe On Wednesday as residents witnessed the burial of the seven children who died in a house inferno in Shisholeka village.
The funeral was being held amid Covid-19 preventive guidelines and was unusually short, but was punctuated with wailing as the victims were being put to rest.
The seven children of the same family died after the house they were sleeping in accidentally caught fire around 20:00 hours on Monday.
This occurred when petrol spilled on the floor towards a brazier as the father of the house and his 12-year-old son were draining fuel from an electricity generator.
The father and the 12-year-old are currently nursing deep wounds in Levy Mwanawasa University Teaching Hospital in Lusaka.
In the unfortunate incident, the six year-old was the oldest victim while the youngest was about one year-old.
Chongwe Member of Parliament (MP), Japhen Mwakalombe, Chongwe District Commissioner, Robster Mwanza attended the burial in Shisholeka village around 16:00 hours.
Lusaka province secretary, Kennedy Kamba, was also in attendance.
Government took over the funeral expenses.
Chongwe district Zion church elder, Bishop Murewa, urged the mourners to look to God and thanked Government for meeting all funeral requirements.