Acting police spokesperson, Danny Mwale
SIMON MUNTEMBA writes
A 38 year old man identified as Joseph Ndwi of Habeenzu village in Chief Mwanachingwala of Mazabuka District has sustained multiple burns in an inferno after his grass thatched makeshift kitchen caught fire.
According to acting Police Spokesperson Danny Mwale, the victim came from a drinking spree and while in a drunken state begun cooking food inside the thatched kitchen and fell asleep as the kitchen caught fire.
Mr Mwale in a statement said the matter which happened around 02:15-hours yesterday at Habeenzu village in Mazabuka was reported at Police in Mazabuka received by the victim’s younger brother, Steven Ndwi aged 32 of the same area.
“Facts of the matter are that the victim, in his drunken state went to a neighbour and asked for some glowing pieces of wood with which he wanted to make a fire in order to prepare some
food,” Mr Mwale said.
He said it was suspected that he later fell asleep and the kitchen caught fire, and that no foul play is suspected.
Mr Mwale said Police together with the Mazabuka municipal council fire brigade officers rushed to the scene and picked the victim after quenching the fire.
He explained that the kitchen got extensively burnt and the victim who sustained severe body burns but is in a stable condition has been admitted to Mazabuka General Hospital.