AUNT MILLY writes
Hello Mwana Amai and Mwana Wa Daddy
TODAY my Darllings we talk about how to brighten Dark Lips. Darkening of the lips can be the result of hyperpigmentation. This is a typically harmless condition caused by an excess of melanin.
Lip hyperpigmentation may be caused by:
• excessive exposure to the sun
• lack of hydration
• Cigarette smoking
• Allergic reactions to toothpaste, lipstick, etc.
• Too much caffeine
• lip sucking
Most of these causes can be addressed by lifestyle changes limiting caffeine intake, or changing toothpaste brands etc.
The following can also lead to darker lips:
• Vitamin deficiency
There are many ways to brighten your lips naturally. Below is a list of some ideas you may want to try out;
1. By using lemon and sugar
Before bedtime, cut a lemon wedge and dip it in sugar. Rub your lips with the sugared lemon. The next morning, rinse your lips with lukewarm water.
2. by using Lime and honey
Lime is another citrus fruit that may have anti-melanin production properties. In a small bowl, mix together:
• 1 1/2 teaspoons of fresh lime juice
• 1 teaspoon of honey
• 1 teaspoon of glycerine
• Gently apply the mixture to your lips before bedtime. Wash your lips the next morning.
turmeric may act as a melanin inhibitor. In a small bowl, mix together:
• 1 tablespoon milk
• enough turmeric powder to make a paste
With a wet fingertip, rub the paste on your lips. Leave it in place for about five minutes before gently rinsing it off with cool water. After drying your lips, apply your favourite moisturiser.
Other natural remedies
Some people use the following home remedies to lighten darker lips. However, research is needed to explore their effectiveness. Keep this in mind if you try them out:
• Coconut oil. Using your fingertip, take a very small amount of coconut oil and gently apply it evenly over your lips. You can do this multiple times during the day and also before you go to sleep at night.
• Rose water. Mix together two drops of rose water to six drops of honey. Apply this mixture to your lips three to four times per day. You can also apply this mixture before going to bed at night.
• Olive oil. Before bed, massage a few drops of olive oil onto your lips.
• Cucumber juice. In a blender, juice half a cucumber. Cool the juice in the refrigerator. Once the juice is cool, dip a cotton ball into it and use the cotton ball to gently apply the juice onto your lips. Leave the cucumber juice on your lips for about 30 minutes, then rinse off with cool water.
• Sugar. Blend together 3 teaspoons of sugar and 2 teaspoons of butter. Three times a week, massage this blend onto your lips for three to four minutes. If you like, you can substitute olive oil for the butter.
All in all Mwana Amai, sorting out remedies to brighten remedies is easy. However, one must be patient with the process.
Thank you all. Until next time. God bless you.