Central Province commissioner Chola Katanga
A 17 year old boy of Chief Mungule in Chibombo district has died after taking pesticide used for preserving maize.
The boy committed suicide after he withdrew 200 from Airtel money belonging to his mother who had earlier received K335 from her young brother for home consumption.
Central Province Police Commissioner, Chola Katanga, confirmed the sad news to ZANIS in Mumbwa today, saying that the incident happened during the long weekend.
The Central Province Police Chief, explained that the incident happened when his mother went to an Airtel agent booth to withdraw K335.00 which was sent by his younger brother the previous day.
“The Mother to the boy received K335 airtel money from her young brother, but when she went to withdraw the money from the booth, she discovered that a K200, 00 was missing from the account, that is when she confronted the boy because he was the only one who knew the password but he refused,” Commissioner Katanga explained.
He added that later, the Airtel agent disclosed to the mother that her son had earlier withdrawn the money from her account.
Mr Katanga stated that when the mother rushed back home, she found her son vomiting and the smell of the vomit resembled that of a chemical they had used to preserve their maize the previous day.
He said the mother rushed his son to Kawama clinic where he was attended to and later on referred to Nangoma Mission Hospital where he died,
The body of the deceased is lying in Nangoma Mission Hospital mortuary awaiting post-mortem. ZANIS